Wednesday, November 13, 2013

SR--Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall

Lupita is the oldest of seven children and has to take the lead when her mother's illness takes both of her parents away to the hospital.  Money is tight, and Lupita and her siblings are scared.  But, Lupita is strong and resilient like the mesquite tree where she goes to write.

This book is written in verse and reads so easily.  There is so much depth here that I can't say that it is a quick read, but it did not take me long to read it.  My grandmother was the oldest girl in her family, and her mother became ill when she was a teenager.  I imagine that my grandmother's experiences were much like Lupita's.  I guess that is why I enjoyed it so much.  I definitely recommend this first novel for Texas author--Guadalupe Garcia McCall.

No comments:

Post a Comment