Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Miles Halter decides that he wants to leave home to attend a prep school.  Miles has no friends, and he hopes to make them at Culver Creek Preparatory School.  What he does not realize is that he is walking into an interesting caste world of haves and have-nots.  The "haves" just stay at school during the week and go home on the weekends while the "have-nots" stay all of the time.  Even though Miles's family has money, his roommate is part of the group of "have-nots", and that is where Miles fits in.  Enter--Alaska--gorgeous, thought-provoking, fearless, bold girl who lives down the hall.  Alaska is different from other girls because nothing seems to phase her, but Miles soon finds out that there is more here.  Alaska has a boyfriend, but she always flirts with Miles.  He is completely enamored with her, so he is talked into staying at school during Thanksgiving instead of going home.  Over this holiday, Miles gets very close to Alaska and finds out more about her family life--or the lack thereof.  This was all before...then there is after...

Now, I know that you will want more than that, but my rule is not to spoil the book.  I want you to read it.  If I tell you before and after what--I will spoil it.  Please don't search this to find out--wait.  It was not what I thought originally.  Green does a good job of throwing you off to think it is something else.

One other item--I would categorize this as a high school level book.  There are some mature themes that in my personal opinion are better placed at high school.  However, some may disagree with my assessment.

Well developed characters, interesting story line.  Makes for a great novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment