Monday, May 5, 2014

Skinny by Donna Cooner


cover_image

Ever Davies lost her mom when she was ten, and she turned to food as her comfort.  Now, she is an overweight fifteen year old girl who broke a chair on the stage at school.  This incident made her decide to have weight loss surgery.  She wants to lose weight so that the negative voices she hears will be quiet.  However, her inner voice--which she has named Skinny--does not go away.  Skinny keeps feeding her with negative thoughts that keep her from moving on.  Now, Ever must decide whether she will listen to Skinny or the people around her who care about her.

Wow! This book was amazingly moving.  It gave me a sense of the emotional turmoil Ever went through as she started losing weight and the fear of gaining it back.  But, what I really found fascinating was the facts that the author shared about the science of how the surgery worked.  Anyone who thinks this is the easy way out for losing weight is so wrong.  It is a brave choice, and I take my hat off to those folks.

I heard the author speak, and she shared with us that she had the surgery.  I think that is why it seemed so authentic.  Give this one a try.  I could not put it down.

Book 2 in SRC14

No comments:

Post a Comment