Wednesday, November 13, 2013

SR--Wonder by RJ Palacio

Auggie is a young boy born with a cranio facial difference.  His parents decide that he needs to go to school, so they decide to send him to a private school.  As you can imagine, many of the children are unkind to Auggie because he looks different from them.  This novel chronicles his year as well as the year through other people's eyes as well.

It is hard for me to put into words how I feel about this book.  I just love the characters.  I like the story, but the characters are what sells me on the book.  I even felt sorry for Julian in the end.  When you read the book, you will know why that is a big deal.  Also, I loved Mr. Tushman's graduation speech.  It was wonderful and inspiring.

"When given the choice between being right and being kind, choose kind."

This saying sums up a major theme in the book.  I can honestly say that I have not lived by this, but I am really trying now.  I am trying to choose kind, and I can see that others are as well.  But, honestly, if I were the only one who was choosing kind--the world would still be better because of all of the people that I see and talk to on a daily basis.  If I can choose kind, then maybe one of the people that I was kind to--can choose kind later, etc, etc.

Please read this book, and choose kind.  It really could save someone--maybe even yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment